Four arrests made at Truro Black Lives Matter event as peaceful protest turns hostile

  Posted: 16.06.20 at 10:02 by Kurt Robson

us on Facebook

Police have made four arrests in Truro following a clash between BLM protesters and war memorial defenders.

The initially peaceful BLM protest turned hostile when the two groups met in front of Truro’s War Memorial.

Three members of the BLM protest have been arrested on suspicion of throwing missiles and one resident defending the war memorial has been arrested on suspicion of racial abuse.

How did the clash occur?

Yesterday (15 June), hundreds of protesters gathered on Lemon Quay to show solidarity for the Black Lives Matter Movement.

While this was happening, a separate group of around sixty people had gathered at Truro War Memorial in Boscawen Street.

BLM Protest on Lemon Quay

The group told Nub News they were there to 'defend' the memorial.

The BLM protest on Lemon Quay was completed peacefully, with police officers only having to attend to provide first-aid to someone who had fainted.

After the protest had finished, around two hundred BLM protesters left Lemon Quay and made their way to Boscawen Street.

A standoff ensued between both sets of protesters and police formed a wall to keep them apart.

Some missiles, consisting of apples, coins and eggs were thrown, however, no injuries were reported.

BLM Protest on Lemon Quay

A police spokesperson told Nub News:

“Three people in the Black Lives Matter protest group were arrested on suspicion of affray in relation to the throwing of missiles.

“The two men, aged 35 and 23, and a 59-year-old woman, all from Falmouth, have been released on police bail until 7 July.”

Police are also investigating a report of racial abuse being directed at three members of the Black Lives Matter protesters in Boscowan Street. It is believed to have been perpetrated by a person in the second group.

A police spokesperson said: “A 31-year-old man from Truro has been arrested on suspicion of an offence under the Public Order Act and remains in police custody at this time.”

Chief Superintendent Ian Drummond-Smith, Police Commander for Cornwall, said:

“The significant majority who attended these protests were peaceful and came to get behind their respective causes.

“A small minority caused trouble at the end and the police acted quickly, making three arrests after missiles were thrown. At least one missile landed on a local taxi.

“We are also investigating an offence of racial abuse directed at three Black Lives Matter protestors and are reviewing both CCTV and police body-worn video, which records audio, as part of our enquiries.”

Like this article? Sign up to our weekly newsletter...